Saturday, November 14, 2020

Using Sporcle to keep the brain ticking over


As I get older and older, I become increasingly convinced that my brain is just shriveling up like a tomato in the sun, and I need to keep feeding it and testing it to keep it ripe and juicy. Sometimes that means teaching myself something useless and new, like how to solve a Rubik's Cube, and sometimes it means playing the same Sporcle quizzes over and over again.

I love pub quizzes, and I love news quizzes, and I love quizzes that ask me to name every Doctor Who episode ever, especially when I can get better at them. The first time I tried to name all the 21st century episodes I managed around 55 percent. Now it's 100 percent, all the way, and I can easily name each adventure.

I also find the picture searches on Sporcle weirdly comforting - trying to identify all 260 Marvel characters in this picture gets things humming, even though I always, always fall about 15 short.

Look, I know there are better ways to keep the brain turning over, and certainly more useful, but I'll take what I can get. Knowing the title of every single episode of Doctor Who isn't big or clever, and nobody is ever going to ask me about it, but it's there now.

No comments: