Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Sorry, Wayne

I'm sorry, Wayne Barnes. Shit happens and I should have been a grown up about the 2007 World Cup semi. I still believe that there would have been a different result if literally any other ref on the planet was on the field - a whole half without any penalties was unprecedented - but so it goes.

All the live sport I'm really interested in went over to Pay TV years ago, so I usually miss out on a lot of live games and matches. Sometimes there is a site like cricinfo, or some live blogs that keep you up to date, but most of the time I have to wait for the news to tell me what is going on, like a damn savage.

I tried to follow some live sport on social media and discovered it was useless, because every arsehole on Twitter spends all their time moaning about the bloody ref, like that's the most important part of the game.

It's not. It's just tedious. Every team in every sport gets unfair calls on the playing field, sometimes with massive consequences, that's just part of sport, and part of life. Whining about how unfair it all is just makes you look like a tosser, and it's just boring if everybody is focused on the adjudication.

It's not just sport, it's everything, including entertainment and politics. Everyone a fucking expert, everyone thinks they know more than the professionals, it is all coloured by own allegiances and prejudices. I truly believe that sport is a big fat metaphor for everything, but if all you've got to say is that everything is unfair, that doesn't mean much.

Sorry, Wayne. I didn't mean to be such a dick about it.


No comments: