Thursday, August 27, 2020

Blocking fuckwits for fun and profit

 

Maybe there are just more dickheads on social media than ever before, or maybe my tolerance levels for hateful bullshit have plunged to new levels in this hellfire year of 2020. But whatever the reason, I have been blocking the shit out of a buttload of people on my feeds over the past few months, far more than at any time in the past.

It's always been easy enough to ditch the racists and bigots, any transphobia or sexism or anything like that has always been easily stamped out with a minimum of fuss. But now I have no time for a whole lot of things - misinformation spreaders, any people who advocate for economies over lives, any calling for war and oppression of their fellow man, anybody whose first inclination is to shake an angry fist instead of offering the helping hand.

It may be true I am building a bubble around me, and I'm just creating a huge echo chamber of people who believe the same things I do and repeat my opinions back to me. Maybe I am missing something by not engaging with people with morally odious views, because I'll never understand them if I just ignore them.

Maybe so, but at least it's a bubble that's not full of arseholes, stinking up the place with their areshole opinions. I can live with that.

No comments: