Saturday, February 18, 2023

There's a pleasing sense of happiness for me



Of course I moaned endlessly about the Carpenters when I was a young punk. They were too sweet, too saccharine. They were everything I hated in music. Just too bloody nice.

But the older I get, the more I stop being such a little shit about the music I listen to and enjoy, and the more I appreciate a great pop tune. And now of course I adore the Carpenters. I don't know when it happened, but it happened sometime in the past couple of decades.

Now beneath that glorious shine, I feel the honesty in the naked emotion of their tunes, burning through each sweet chord, with the loveliest melodies you could ever hope for. I've always got to try and let more pop in, because we could all use a bit more nice in our lives.

No comments: