Friday, February 17, 2023

No fun!



 

I've watched hundreds of hours of documentaries about punk music, because that's the kind of absolute fucking dork I am, and none of them even hit me like the No Fun episode of Dancing In The Streets, the BBC doco series about the history of popular music.

I watched this fucking thing a thousand times in the late 90s and still think that was time well spent, introducing me to so many sweet new sounds and making vital connections between punk and reggae (although it has left me with an unhealthy certainty that punk all started with Jonathan Richman). 

But what really resonated was that behind all the bullshit and posing, there was this beautiful philosophy of punk: just get out and fucking doing it - whatever it is. It is absolutely eternal.

It is quite sad to watch it now and realise that many of these incredible legends have now passed on, but at least their stories still linger in documentaries like this, just like the tastiest piece of feedback.

No comments: