Tuesday, February 21, 2023

I'm still addicted to the channel surfing



The rise and fall of the streaming giants is objectively fascinating, just watching them force through a consumer change that makes loads of money for a small group of people, by offering the eternal attraction of convenience.

I never signed up for any streaming service. They're not worth the money and for a long time I could say that my internet was shit. But now I usually just moan about their dodgy business practices (because all these companies are run by fucking psychos.)

But also, because I'm in love the broadcast, and cling to it as a connection to a wider world. Watching late night TV  and wondering how many other randos are out there doing exactly the same thing. It's fucking dumb, but it has always made me feel a little less lonely.

Plus, I still love the randomness of what pops up. When there is infinite choice, I can't be fucking bothered deciding and am only too happy to let some random TV programmer make the call for me.

And if I'm slipping between channels and the the last 10 minutes of Unforgiven comes up, you bet your ass I'm sticking with that (this literally happened twice this week). If I stumble across a little piece of the Twilight Zone or The Greatest American Hero or a documentary about the history of London's bridges or some shit, why not stick around? 

I literally just stopped working on this post because that scene in the Eric Bana Hulk fights the army in the desert came on the TV, and I fucking love that shit where he's bounding through the air.

It's an easy formula - serve me up something random on the TV, because I can't be arsed deciding for myself. It's all I've ever needed.

No comments: