Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Following the X with Paul


That hardcore obsession with all things X-Men - the one I had when I was 12 and confused about a lot of things in life - it never really went away, and has flared back into life recently with a hardcore re-read of the Claremont years. 

But even I gave up on the X-Men in 1994, I have still followed everything that is going down in the world of X all through the years, even if I only rarely actually buy any comics. I read all the trades from the library - and holy spit, there are a few - and I read my mate Kyle's comics. And, most of all, I relied and still rely on Paul O'Brien and his X-Axis.

I'm now well into the second decade of relying on O'Brien to tell me what's going on. I love his writing style, mixing deep data dumps with precise skewering, and it tells me everything I need to know about the X-Men without even asking. From the pre-social media website to the podcast years to the current and constant updates, reviews and annotations on the House to Astonish website, I really don't know what I'd do without Paul.

No comments: