Saturday, May 6, 2023

What a way to make a living!



I really wasn't sure about Dolly Parton as a kid. When I first became aware of her in the eighties, she was already insanely popular, writing huge pop hits and starring in big movies. But she had such a massive, forceful and bright persona - all teeth, hair and boobs - I genuinely found it too much. 

But then, as I got older, my punk hatred of mainstream pop cowboy songs could never stand up to the power of Dolly. This was for two important reasons - 1) by all accounts she is a thunderingly kind and generous person and 2) she wrote some tunes that are still absolute bangers.

I can't do a 9-5 shift at work without humming along to that funky, funky beat all day long, and Joelene will break your heart, whatever way you want to interpret it. It took me a while, but I finally fell for the power of Dolly.


No comments: