Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The algorithm still don't know me


We're all getting bombarded with the thrilling predictions and warnings of AI, but the daft pricks who are most evangelical about it - and assuring us that it's not a con and really will change our lives - are the same sorts of people who were telling me 10 years that algorithms will change the world

I don't about that, because I've had a tiny presence on Facebook for 15 years and it stil ldon't fucking know me, and is still delivering me unreadable shit that I have no time for.

I am not the market for cheap car parts and bitcoin, and I don't know why it keeps showing me posts from random strangers getting into car accidents, or weird pop culture accounts full of dull Star Wars memes. I just wanted to know what my dearest friends and family were up to. That's all I wanted, and the algorithm can't even figure that out, so I'm not holding my breath for the AI singularity anytime soon. 

That said, I was deeply, deeply freaked out by watching this fucking AI thing the other day, and it has been giving me the shits on a cosmic scale ever since, and I still can't stop watching it. That is how the world ends.

No comments: