Saturday, October 22, 2022

Trailer park world

Ever since you started being able to download movie trailers on your hard drive, I have always been obsessed with a certain trailer for some movie coming up soon, and I'll watch it dozens of times. It changes all the time and sometimes it's a dumb Star Trek or Star Wars thing, and sometimes it's just some random ass movie that is coming out of nowhere, but there's always something.

It started with The Two Towers one with that Clint Mansell's bitching string piece and it's usually for some big-ass blockbuster, or some moody, stylish thing. Often the film doesn't live up to the cheap thrills of the trailer, but that doesn't matter.

When I'm working late at work, or need something to pick me up on a long day, I can lose myself for a few minutes.

And at the moment it's 100 percent the trailer for the new Mission Impossible.

I bitch about a lot of trailers, but that's because I care so much about them, and think they are some weird art-form in themselves. 

And this one is perfect - the slow build-up as someone tells Ethan how the world really works in sinister tones (half of all MI trailers do this and it's always excellent), the ubiquitous thumping every fucking trailer uses these days giving way to the thud of the incalculably great theme song, and then Cruise is running and it's on, with very attractive people beating the shit out of each other, and fights on a train and the biggest film star in the world putting his life on the line for the perfect shot, like a goddamn trooper for the art of cinema. 

It doesn't come out for month and months, and I will literally watch it dozens and dozens of times before then. It's the instant hit I need, the short thrill ride we all deserve. I'm going to watch it again right now.

No comments: