Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Tank Girl on acid



The Tank Girl movie always seemed way too self consciously hip to really catch on, but has still built a sizable reputation in the years since, and has come to be seen as something that helped kickstart a particular brand of girl power, one that threw sass at the whole world at the turn of the millennium.

Good for it. The movie actually got a lot of the attitude of Tank Girl and chums right, but while it failed to hoover up the charm of co-creator Jamie Hewlett's excellent art, I thought it was terrific when I first saw it and have had an absolutely massive crush for Naomi Watts ever since.

Then again I was fuckin' peaking on some potent acid when I saw it for that first time, and anything would have been genuinely mind-blowing on that. It was all pretty predictable and I melted into the seat as the swirled down into the apocalypse on screen. I needed one of the truly massive cream buns from the 24 dairy to bring me back to earth after that. Good times!

I'm not saying you need psychedelic drugs to enjoy movies, but sometimes it doesn't hurt.


No comments: