Friday, November 12, 2021

Eternals in a modern murk

I still can't go to the movies, because there is some idea around here that it's not worth people dying to do that, and that's just fine by me. But if I could, one of the first things I'd be seeing is the new Eternals, because I'm a basic bitch who embarrasses the shit out of his film nerd mates by thinking the Marvel films are all fine.

It hasn't got a lot of great reviews, but even a lot of the negative takes often make a point of saying how well-lit the film is, with golden hour sunbeams and vast natural landscapes.

Which sounds like fun, but they're also usually accompanied by this picture, which doesn't really make their case, because this is not flattering lighting for anybody concerned.


All those gorgeous colourful costumes on fantastic bodies look drab on a nothing background. There's no difference between the sky and the ocean, a dull sandy ground. 

The Marvel movies always go for the realism, really going deep on the 'how would this actually look in the real world' , and that has usually paid off for them. But doing that for space gods with chiseled hair and eye lasers is asking for some kind of trouble.

I haven't seen the movie, but I'll still try to get there, lockdowns and children allowing. And maybe all the promo stuff is just bullshit and it actually gets proper psychedelic and colourful and I should drink a big cup of shut the fuck up.

But if this is the best face they're going to offer before the film goes out, they could do better than showing this shit sandwich of an image and telling me it's a juicy steak made of light.

No comments: