Friday, April 14, 2023

Out the back door of the cinema



So there was a period in my life when I went to the cinema a lot, and then exited through one of the weird side doors. I don't know why I did it, it was just some kind of weird compulsion, but as soon as the credits rolled, I was out the side-exit. 

It was a fucking stupid idea, because sometimes I'd get trapped in some weird cage/staircase; or would end up in the back hallways of shopping malls, where you're really not supposed to be. Very occasionally, you might get tossed straight out into the carpark where you needed to go, but this was rare.

But I always like the way I would end up in some strange places, and see the back facades of buildings. It's the same feeling I get when I go riding in trains when I'm in a strange country, because you get see the real backside of the city, and see what it's really all about. See all thew rubbish, see how the people live.

I don't do that kind of thing anymore, because I'm too fucking old to be climbing fences, and far too dignified to explain to 22-year-old shop managers how I ended up their storeroom. But I still look at the exit every time, and I can't stop wondering what's on the other side.

No comments: