Wednesday, April 26, 2023

No future in this kind of horror movie



It really did feel like Anthony Hickox was everywhere for a couple of years in the world of low budget horror, directing fluff-tastic fun like the two Waxwork films and Sundown, before making the logical next step to horror franchises that actually played in movie theatres near me, including a Hellraiser and a Warlock in the early 90s.

And I haven't seen a single thing he's done since then. His IMDB is full of ultra-low budget action schlock and episodes of TV shows that nobody remembers, as the mid-range market for the kind of films he made dried up.

It just feels weird to me - he was one of the new faces of horror, just as I was going through my peak horror phase, and his films had a definite charm and some style to them. And then nothing. There is no obvious path for a career as a filmmaker, but it looks like it can all dry up and blow away so fast, like the dust of a Dracula.

No comments: