Friday, April 29, 2022

Thank the harvest, I'm still such a basic horror bitch



Twitter keeps suggesting I follow people who tweet about horror films, probably because I'm incapable of going past any mention of a David Cronenberg film without liking it. But I have to keep telling the algorithm to piss off, because it kept serving up endless stanning for the latest corporate bullshit, and that's all so much grosser than anything Tom Savini dreamed up. 

And while that makes me feel like hot shit because I saw Death Line one time, then I go and watch something like Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched, a documentary about folk horror movies and it's an absolutely pleasurable discovery to find out I don't know shit.

Even after decades and decades of watching great horror movie trash I know my limits and have defined them by my relationship with the Blind Dead films, but this documentary gets through the obvious stuff like Witchfinder General, Blood on Satan's Claw, The Wicker Man, The Witch and Midsommar very quickly, and then goes to other places I've never even heard of - traumatic Slavic nightmares, colonial nightmares in the new world and old terrors in the rice paddies. 

It could be overwhelming, and it should be - there are so many films that have been made and are still being made, and you can never keep up with it all. But to be reminded that there is always more, and that you might not understand their rules, is still intoxicating.

Because something new to you, even if it was actually made in Romania in 1955, is always worth hearing about, no matter how basic it makes me feel.

No comments: