Saturday, April 16, 2022

Maybe tomorrow, I’ll want to settle down



Maybe I read too much Mark Twain stories, or maybe I just watched too many Littlest Hobo episodes, but until I was 12 or so, I genuinely thought you were meant to run away at some point. Like a rite of passage thing, to become a proper adult.

I had it all planned out in the way kids do - I was going to sleep on the benches in the enclosed courtyard behind the freaky statue at the library, and I was going to walk out into the fields outside town and eat the peas that grew there, and I was going into schoolyards at night to drink from the water fountains there.

Thank goodness I never followed through on this hobo fantasy, because it wouldn't have ended well. But I am a little worried that there was really just one thing that really stopped me from taking that leap, and that was that I could never figure out how to take all my favourite comic books with me.

No comments: