Friday, March 4, 2022

The Lone Ranger still kicks off



There has never been a more perfect blend of music and action, than the propulsive William Tell Overture being used as the theme music for the Lone Ranger.

It means adventure and derring-do is on the way. It's the perfect tempo for riding the world's best horse across the open plain and means Tonto and his faithful sidekick the Lone Ranger are going to kick some darn arse It means the bad guys are going down and the good guys are going to triumph, because that's just how the world works. It's not like that in the real world, but that music is a clarion call to justice and righteousness, and we could all use a bit of that right now.

Even though I really didn't get into Westerns, I was obsessed with the Lone Ranger for a while as a kid. I still remember my big sister's incredulity that I didn't want to buy the kite at the school fair when I was seven, I wanted the black velvet domino eye mask.The Legend of the Lone Ranger is another cinematic classic and I won't hear any different.

I still hear that music now and it's just primal enjoyment, just the best feeling. When it finally kicks in at the climax of the bloated Lone Ranger movie from a couple of years ago, it was so easy to forgive that film for all its sins - its meanness, its outright racism, its general Johnny Depp and Arme Hamner-ness - and just get into it, because the ride was on.

And it still wants to charge us up. My kids bloody love it, bouncing on Dad's knees as the strings and brass and big fuck-off drums kick off. That music was first paired with that hero nearly a century ago and it's still primal enough to get the youngest blood pumping. Hi-ho Silver!

No comments: