Sunday, February 20, 2022

The glorious cinema of Raise the Titanic


If there is one movie I should never, ever watch as an adult, it's Raise The Titanic.

I was a little freak about real life disasters as a kid - especially the Titanic, long before the James Cameron film. And I can still remember pestering my parents to go see this new movie where they actually refloat the famous boat, even though I was only six years old. 

And I do genuinely think of it as a giant of cinema, an awesome epic, with incredible special effects. I remember the terror of the dudes who got squashed by a submarine that gave in to the pressure, and the actual moment when the Totanic broke the surface with a primordial roar was one of the most dazzling things I had ever seen at the cinema. 

I haven't seen it since 1981. I'm sure it's still great. Why ruin a good thing?

No comments: