Friday, December 31, 2021

A future worth looking forward to



I'm always rubbish at year-end lists, because I always get into the good shit long after all the cool kids have moved on. But my little lady's first superhero word was Batgirl this year, because my pal Nik gave her a plush Barbara Gordon, and the best part about that was when we went to a store the other day that has some Batman toys and I pointed them out, and she legit cocked an eyebrow and said 'Bat..... Man?!?', like the concept was totally insane, and all I know is that was better than any movie, film or TV show I saw all year. 

Look, it's been another horrendous year for a lot of us, and let's all hope things get a bit brighter in 2022. The end of the Western calendar year is just an arbitrary point to start over, but fuck, we have to start somewhere.

I got through 2021 okay, even if it is a hard lesson to discover that two kids are a million more than one. But they bring more joy into this world than anything I've ever seen before, and that's always worth celebrating.

I desperately don't want to mold their minds into just liking the same things I like, because it's more fun if they have their own thing, but I'm going to give them all the chances in the world to find out what it is. This past year has been rough, but that's my future. I'll see you there.

No comments: