I took myself right out of anything to do with Doctor Who fandom a few years ago, and my enjoyment of the show increased, so I remain as convinced as ever that if the entertainment you consume makes you angry, than you're doing it wrong.
Some stuff is supposed to make you angry, to get you fired up about something in the real world that deserves your rage, but so many people seem to think this is the appropriate response to anything you disagree with, no matter how trivial the source material is.
I'm disappointed when my entertainments are disappointing, especially if they waste their potential, but these things are there to make you feel and think and groove, and they are not the most important thing in the world. They are definitely not worth getting angry about.
It just feels like we are all drowning in gross entitlement that so many people mistake for loyalty, that the viewer or reader is owed something by the creator, and that if they don't fulfill those expectations, than they deserve insults and scorn.
I still hated the last Star Wars as much as anybody, but that whole sequel saga is still getting some outraged reactions, and fucking hell, it's not the end of the world. Movies and comics I dearly love have soured, but so fucking what, they're only movies and comics? They're not real, they're no substitute for real love and human connection.
I do have some hope that we're all just getting burned out by this kind of reaction, after two solid decades of social media foolishness, but it still keeps simmering away.
The world can be a shitty, shitty place sometimes and the past year has been particularly grim, especially when we feel unable to stop the world from burning down, and that's where my rage goes, not into who is being cast as the new James Bond.
It just feels like we are all drowning in gross entitlement that so many people mistake for loyalty, that the viewer or reader is owed something by the creator, and that if they don't fulfill those expectations, than they deserve insults and scorn.
I still hated the last Star Wars as much as anybody, but that whole sequel saga is still getting some outraged reactions, and fucking hell, it's not the end of the world. Movies and comics I dearly love have soured, but so fucking what, they're only movies and comics? They're not real, they're no substitute for real love and human connection.
I do have some hope that we're all just getting burned out by this kind of reaction, after two solid decades of social media foolishness, but it still keeps simmering away.
The world can be a shitty, shitty place sometimes and the past year has been particularly grim, especially when we feel unable to stop the world from burning down, and that's where my rage goes, not into who is being cast as the new James Bond.

No comments:
Post a Comment