One of the striking things about the Succession TV show were the spaces these ultra-rich wankers all lived in. They looked like classy hotels, not a place where real people loved and were loved. They were just nothing, with any personal touches styled right out of the room, so they ended up having homes that spoke of their own vapidness.
And I have a weird belief that that the more valuable something is, the tackier it is. The one time we went to the Tower of London, and saw the fabled Crown Jewels, I just thought they were a bit tacky. Too ostentatious, trying too hard to be impressive, and steamrolling any sense of style this finely crafted jewelry could ever have.
Having the kind of money to spend on any kind of jewel, or living in the same places the Roys called home, are not anything I have to worry about. But it's also something I don't think I'll ever miss.
No comments:
Post a Comment