Thursday, March 7, 2024

This is my life again: The space is wrong



Ever since I returned to Timaru, I keep going the wrong way around supermarket carparks, and even getting weirdly lost in the stores themselves. It just keeps happening to me.

The layouts don't make sense to me. They don't feel intuitive, and in a country where everybody drives on the left, sending cars around to the right just seems bonkers to me.

I thought it was just because I was dumb as shit (and getting dumber by the year), but that's not it. It's still taken me an embarrassingly long time to work out what was really going on, but I'm convinced that it's not just me, it's the world around me to blame.

This systems are screwed because they still work fine with the lesser traffic. After being in a town of 1.5 million people, the structures there are designed for huge amounts of people. They frequently fail because of those masses, but then incremental changes are made to try and prevent future fuck-ups.

And now, here in this place, they're just not dealing with huge numbers of people. They have space, not every single square metre isn't used and exploited. Houses are bigger, back yards are far more generous than I have come accustomed to, and the car parks have plenty of room for the traffic they manage.

When things have room to breathe, there is no need to change, stick with whatever works, and if they're never going to be stressed, why waste time, effort and resources to sort it out?

Whatever works, man.

I'm sure this is some kind of great metaphor for something, but I'm fucked if I know what it is. 

No comments: