Friday, August 14, 2020

Super sounds of the 70s

My mates and I spent a significant portion of our teenage years sneaking a rigger of beer down to the river and sculling it; and then heading back to our place to watch this cheap and crappy VCR collection of music videos from the year 1970. There wasn't much else to do in Temuka in the very early nineties.

We lost that video years and years ago, but I finally tracked down the list of the music videos that featured on that tape, and have managed to recreate it using YouTube. Some of the quality is dodgy as hell, but that's because I tried to find the clip that was used on that collection.

I mean, I had to get that Mungo Jerry clip where singer Ray Dorset looks so fucking mad (look at his eyes!); and that version of Yellow River, because it's got the most vacant drummer in the history of vacant drumming; and that studio performance of Paranoid, for when people in the background keep realising they're in shot; and that shirt on the lead singer of Edison Lighthouse.

This particular collection of songs in this particular order might only mean something to half a dozen people on this planet, but it means a lot to them.

I still call big sideburns 'mungos'.






























 

No comments: