Tuesday, September 24, 2024

I just like looking at Zatanna



I get just a fraction of the amount of regular monthly comics that I used to get, and it's usually old favourites like Love & Rockets and Grendel (Prime 4ever). But I also like to get some kind of mainstream superhero book, because there is nothing quite like a new and shiny superhero comic that is a little bit smart and has good pictures.

It's mainly about the pictures these days. The older I get, the more I just want good art over good writing. I can not accept a brilliant script with pug-ugly art, but will inhale as many gorgeous art pages as I can, no matter how mediocre the plotting can get.

At the moment, the only superhero comic I get is the latest Zatanna series from DC's Black Label line. Zatanna: Bring Down the House has a story by Mariko Tamaki that is fun and punchy, but there really is only one reason to get it - the art of Javier Rodriguez.

With all due respect to his talented collaborators, I will buy anything Rodriguez is involved with, and am never disappointed. His sense of design on the comic page is always playful and inventive, without compromising the coherence of the story; his use of colour is incredibly inviting and warm, and he draws really, really good trippy shit.

All of these traits are on full display in the new comic, along with some absolutely brilliant character work, with Zatanna's grim determination and naked doubts wonderfully presented. The fishnets and top hat are, of course, always welcome. 

Just beautiful comics, in every way. 

No comments: