Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Up the academy



I've been a boorish hater of all things Oscars since the mid-nineties. After being obsessed with all the pomp and circumstance as a kid, I became frequently disillusioned by the kinds of films it championed, and could no longer overlook its many cold injustices by the time I really gave a damn about cinema.

And for all its sins, I can forgive them all because they gave Ke Huy Quan an award this year. And not just because he seems like a hell of a nice dude with the craziest possible story, but because he was really fucking good in that film. The part where the main Waymond is stumbling over his words, while supercool Waymond in a Wong Kar Wai universe is saying the same thing with such precision and poetry, that fuckin' gets me right there. 

The Oscars still always get it wrong, but they got this one right.

No comments: