Sunday, September 12, 2021

When Back to the Future lied to all of us

 

It's easy to look back now and scoff, but they fucking fooled the shit out of me with all the talk about the floating skateboards in the second Back to the Future.

It's a legendary piece of movie marketing - claiming that the hover-boards seen in the film actually existed - but I bought it wholesale, because they said it was true on Entertainment Tonight and Leeza Gibbons wouldn't lie about that. 

This was well before the internet was everywhere, with little access to any real info, so Entertainment Tonight was a primary source of movie news for many many years. And if they weren't telling the truth, who was? 

I did start to think it was taking them a while to actually bring them to market, before it clicked that I'd fallen for movie hype over reality. I really don't mind being fooled, I would just still love to have a go on those funky flying skateboards.

No comments: