Friday, October 4, 2024

Music that sounds like the future




When it comes to finding new music - new tunes that move the soul as much as the booty - I've always been looking for songs that sound like they comes from the future. It usually doesn't turn out that way, but that's how it can sound at the time. 

I was always chasing the future. Even when I was a little kid in the 1980s, rap music and groups like Run DMC, the Beastie Boys and the Pātea Māori Club sounded like they were pumped in from the 21st century, and I still think they do.

After the initial jangly years, Radiohead have been beaming in future music for the rest of their career, and I do genuinely believe that few bands have picked up what Pulp were putting down in This Is Hardcore.

But most of the time I know I'm deluding myself, and while I do think somebody like Skrillex or The Go Team can sound like the future, they then end up in a cultural cul-de-sac.
 
Maybe I'm just more disappointed that the rest of the world never fell for Cornelius as hard as I did in the early 21st century. Maybe I've always just been living in the future with my happy little slices of electro-pop.

No comments: