Sunday, May 9, 2010

Numbers

As a business journalist by day, I enjoy working out percentages just a little bit too much. Seriously, sometimes it gets me quite excited. And now it’s bled into real life, and I ended up analysing the shit out of the comics I get every month.

Having made the migration to a predominantly trade paperback diet, I only get less than a dozen issues every few weeks, and this is what gave me a maths chubby:

0.28% of the comic pages feature regular art by Alan Davis

36.4% of the comics have superheroes in them.

36.4% of them are miniseries that will end in eight issues or less.

54.5% of them have vaguer ends, but are likely to be done within the next five years.

90.9% of them have an issue number under fifty.

36.4% of them are Vertigo comics, a ratio I haven’t seen in 15 years.

18.2% of them are published by Marvel, although there is an Icon.

63.6% of them have a British person in the creative team.

9.1% of them are Mark Millar comics and another 9.1% were recently written by him.

27.3% of them are written by Garth Ennis.

100% of them are good reading. Comics are too expensive to spend money on things I’m not going to enjoy

1 comment:

http://pearls-earrings.blogspot.com said...

nice article about comic portion industry.keep it up.good information.